Sunday 30 August 2009

First few days...

Last boarding call. Gate K. I am on the wrong side of the airport, this cannot be good.
Sprinting full pelt across Birmingham airport with my bag. Made it. 1 minutes to spare, lucky, more than lucky I say!
I'm not a good flyer to say the least, with my plan in mind, this would be the only flight I make for the entire trip.
Flight touches down in Trieste, north Italy, 25minutes ahead of schedule. 30 degree heat sears down. Get a bus to the centre of the city to find my only pre-booked accomodation for the entire trip. A kind girl welcomes me, this hopefully is a good omen for the trip ahead.
After food and a look around, go to bed early to get a decent nights sleep before leaving early-sih tomorrow.
Next day. With Trieste being so close to the Slovenian border, I intended to go there straight away.
Bus to Postjna, approx an hour, but by the most beautifully scenic route. Booking into the cheapest room in a hostel (which turned out to be a bed in a "family room" where I was the only occupant) I head to the caves.
Shame photos were not allowed, the huge expanses were so overwhelming, mile after mile of stalagmites and glistening rock formations.
The walk back to my place was just as interesting as inside, tree after tree, vast open spaces and great views, just what I have been waiting to see.
Discover I lost my sunglasses in that cave....how?!

Next day. Train at 10.11. The trains over here, it has to be said, impecable timing. Ljubljana today! Stay at the Celisja Hostel. Awesome!
I didn't ever imagine I would enjoy a stay in prison but this place was incredible. Colourful walls, graffiti, authentic bars over the windows still in place and its all in the middle of teh "alternative" centre of town. Loved it, just my scene. Even with a gig that night.
I had previous got in contact with someone through this website called CouchSurfing. I would definitely recommend it. Its a way of meeting local people and others who may be willing to offer you a place for the night, entirely free!
I had got in contact with a member of the site called Pia in Ljubljana. We met up, had a drink, talked about travel etc and she offered me a place to stay for the next night. Brilliant.
Later that night I had time for reflection. To see what I had accomplished so far, the sense of freedom of travelling alone, no ties, was immense. The days are long, which means i'm so disorientated!

The next day, I met with another member off CS called Tanja, she shows me around and we visit Tivoli...its like a park, but massive!
I see some graffiti which I appreciate quite a bit, as long as its tasteful or interesting!
Visited the castle too, stunning view from the top!

Day 6! How has time passed so quickly? Visited Lake Bled. It was the hottest day by far. I had to change at the train station after carrying my bag there. It was packed full of people but this is only a minor thing. I have never see such pure blue water! I went for a quick dip, you don't get many chances to do that.

Loving the time away so far. Things can't get better than this....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home